One of the most sought-after true crime books ‘The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy’ by Elizabeth Kendall (pseudonym of Bundy’s former ex-girlfriend Elizabeth “Liz” Kloepfer) has been re-released by publisher Abrams Books.

The updated and expanded new edition also includes a contribution from her daughter, Molly Kendall, who was only a child when she first met the serial killer.

Copies of the first edition are so rare they sell for upwards of $300 online. Recently there has been a renewed interest in Bundy’s brutal crimes following the release of the Netflix docu-series ‘The Ted Bundy Tapes’ and movie ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile.’

In 1969, Elizabeth ?Liz? Kloepfer (pictured above) met Bundy when she worked as a secretary at University of Washington Medical School. Liz was divorced, insecure and desperately seeking a father figure for her young daughter.

During their relationship, Bundy had already begun his killing spree and a concerned Liz reported her suspicions to the police. In 1974, she told them, ?Ted went out a lot in the middle of the night. And I didn?t know where he went. Then he napped during the day. And I found things, things I couldn?t understand.?

These objects included: a set of crutches, a bag of plaster that he admitted stealing from a medical supply house, a meat cleaver, never used for cooking, that he packed when he moved to Utah, surgical gloves, an Oriental knife in a wooden case that he kept in his glove compartment; and a sack full of women’s clothing which did not belong to her.

Bundy also bragged that he had burned the head belonging to a victim in the fireplace at Liz?s home ? although it?s unknown if this is fact or another twisted tendency of Bundy?s to shock people.

Liz had complained to Seattle police two years previous but they refused to believe this was substantial enough evidence to apprehend him. It is unknown how many lives could have been saved had the police listened to Liz when she raised the alarm early on. Finally, Liz had someone willing to listen to her concerns and that was the Salt Lake City police.

It was time for them to move in on Bundy.

On October 2nd, 1975 in Utah, three witnesses identified Bundy from a police lineup. He was charged with attempted murder and kidnapping with bail set at $100,000. Utah authorities were then able to seize Bundy’s car and following an examination, they recovered three hairs which matched potential victims.

FBI lab specialist Robert Neill concluded that the presence of hair strands in one car matching three different victims who had never met one another would be “a coincidence of mind-boggling rarity.” Bundy was finished.

Whilst awaiting trial, Bundy made many attempts to escape prison – some of which were successful. Finally, he confessed to killing 30 victims between 1974 and 1978, although the real victim count is believed to be much higher.